Monday 26 January 2009

A History Lesson


Near this spot

Are deposited the remains of one

Who possessed Beauty

Without Vanity,

Strength without Insolence,

Courage without Ferocity,

And all the Virtues of Man

Without his Vices.

Epitaph to a Dog - A poem by Lord Byron, written about Boatswain, his beloved Newfoundland, who died at Newstead Abbey, November 18th, 1808.

Ancient people dubbed my breed as 'the hero dog' because of its renowned and selfless feats of bravery. (I doubt I will ever perform heroic feats but it is nice to think my forebears did).

Did you know, my ancestors go back to the Vikings, apparently a black 'bear dog' named Oolam served as a trusty mate beside its master, Norse explorer Leif Erikson. Another is said to have rescued the 'Little General' from drowning. Even Napoleon's arch enemy Lord Nelson kept a Newf beside him in battle.

In 1802 another American Newfoundland named Scannon gained a place in history by accompanying the explorers Lewis and Clark on their Northwest expedition. According to reports, Scannon was kidnapped by a group of Indians, who apparently had planned to have him on their lunch menu. Ugh, but Lewis and Clark were so incensed about losing their teammate that they sent out a search party to bring him back. When faced with such a show of force, Scannon's captors put their lunch menu on hold and handed him back.

We got our breed name from a man called George Cartwright, a native Newfoundlander who gave the name of his Island to his pet dog. Five years later we nearly died out, we were in serious danger of extinction after a government proclamation limited the ownership of the giant dogs to one per household - all others were slated to be destroyed or exported but because of our great strength and as we were proving to be so useful to our masters, pulling heavy loads, hauling in fishing nets and wood from the forest, even powering the blacksmiths bellows and looking after the children, most people ignored the ruling. Phew, I am so glad they did, otherwise I would not be here.

Unlike my ancestors, I have not rescued anybody yet, but it is early days, you never know what could happen. I prefer to spend my leisure time watching TV. Did you see Ice Age the other week, hee hee, It was brill!



Mum says I am getting to be a handsome chappie, now which is my best side do you think?





I must remember to ask Mum to thank Bill at Graphicus for the rubber box that she brought home. Mum drew round my bowls and Dad cut them out and it is the perfect height for me to eat my tea. A perfect high riser till I grow a bit taller.

Time for bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5 comments:

InkyArtitude said...

Oh Bertie, you are becoming such a nobel boy and quite befitting of your bread. I really enjoyed your history lesson (good job my reading is up to scratch) and your food table is fit for a King! Luvs and licks, your bessy mate,
Diesel x

InkyArtitude said...

Hey Berty, I might be able to read but my Mum has just slaughtered me for not being able to spell. I do of course mean 'breed' and not bread (that's me thinking of my tummy again - oops). She said if I can't spell propper to stay off her PC! Hoity or what? Luvs Diesel.

Jill said...

Well Bertie you're Mum is right you are becoming a handsome chappie!!!

Lots of love

Jill
(along with Tara and Martha of course!)
xxx

acrylik said...

You certainly are getting more handsome every time we see a post by you! Love your story about Newfoundlands.

Willow and Ash =^..^=

Johanna said...

Hello Bertie - thanks for the history lesson - it was really interesting.
Love & kisses
Sally